Make an Application or Request
Depending on what you are asking for, you can:
- Ask your case manager.
- Make an application.
An application is a formal request for the Tribunal to do something or to tell someone else to do something. It is made in writing on a Tribunal form.
There are two types of applications. You can
- Apply to dismiss a complaint
- Apply for any other order, called a “general application”
This information sheet tells you:
- Steps to take before you apply
- How do I make a general application?
- Deadlines and information needed to make an application
- What happens after you make an application?
- When can you phone or write to your case manager to make a request?
- How do I request more time?
Steps to take before you apply
Before you apply:
- Learn more below about deadlines and what information you need to make an application.
- Talk to the other side and find out if they will agree to your request.
There are two ways to apply:
- Sign into the Case Access Centre and select a new general application and submit the form online
- Complete a Form 7.1 – General Application and send it to the Tribunal’s email or office address
Make sure the other participants have a copy of your application.
- Send them a copy to their address for delivery or
- If you know they use the Case Access Centre, send them an email to tell them that there is a new application in the “active application section” of the Case Access Centre.
- complete a Form 7.1 – General Application
- complete a Form 7.3 New Participant Address for Delivery Form, and
- send both documents to the Tribunal’s email or office address.
The following requests require an application. Learn more about deadlines and the information you need to ask the Tribunal to:
- GA1 Limit publication of personal information
- GA2 Put a complaint on hold (Defer a complaint)
- GA3 More time to file a response to complaint
- GA4 Change a complaint to add a new allegation (Amend complaint)
- GA5 Add a respondent to a complaint
- GA6 Change a response to complaint (Amend response)
- GA7 Join two or more complaints
- GA8 File a further submission on an application
- GA9 Order another party to give you documents (Disclose documents)
- GA10 Order someone who is not a party to give you documents
- GA11 Delay or limit disclosure
- GA12 Order another party to pay costs because of their improper conduct
- GA13 Take part in a complaint as a non-party (Intervene)
- GA14 Cancel a hearing date (Adjourn)
- GA15 Reconsider a decision
- GA16 Fast track or change the process
- GA17 Other general application
The Tribunal may set a time for a case conference to discuss the request.
The Tribunal may set dates for:
- The other participants to respond,
- The participant who made the request to reply.
Usually, the Tribunal will not allow more “submissions”. A participant must apply to make a “further submission”.
The Tribunal will consider the information provided and tell the participants its decision.Find out when to expect a decision in the Tribunal’s Service Standards.
For the following requests, phone or write to your Case Manager:
- Get more time (unless you are told you must apply)
- Schedule a settlement meeting or case conference
- Get an interpreter or other needs for a settlement meeting, case conference or hearing (21 days in advance)
- Get directions about filing a reply to an expert report
For the following requests, write to your Case Manager:
- Update contact information
- Get a certified copy of an order
- Ask for a technical correction to a decision
- Order a witness to attend a hearing (complete Form 8)
- Cancel an order for a witness to attend a hearing