Make an Application or Request

Depending on what you are asking for, you can:

  • Phone or write your case manager.
  • Write to your case manager.
  • Make an application.

An application is a formal request for the Tribunal to do something or to tell someone else to do something. It is made in writing on a Tribunal form.

Learn about:

How to make an application

Apply to dismiss a complaint.

For other matters, take these steps:

  • Learn more below about deadlines and what information you need to make an application.
  • Talk to the other side and find out if they will agree to your request.
  • Complete a Form 7.1 – General Application.
  • Send the application and supporting information to the Tribunal and deliver a copy to the participants.

Deadlines and information needed to make an application

The following requests require an application. Learn more about deadlines and the information you need to ask the Tribunal to:

What happens after an application is made

When someone makes an application, the Tribunal decides whether it needs to give the other participants a chance to respond.

The Tribunal may set a time for a case conference to discuss the request.

The Tribunal may set dates for the participants to exchange information and arguments, as follows:

  • The participants opposing the request can respond.
  • The participant who made the request can reply.

Usually, the Tribunal will not allow the participants to file any more information or arguments. A participant must apply to make a further submission.

The Tribunal will consider the information provided and tell the participants its decision.

Requests that do not require an application (Where you can phone or write your case manager)

For the following requests, phone or write to your Case Manager:

  • Get more time (unless you are told you must apply)
  • Schedule a settlement meeting or case conference
  • Get an interpreter or other needs for a settlement meeting, case conference or hearing (21 days in advance)
  • Get directions about filing a reply to an expert report

For the following requests, write to your Case Manager:

  • Get a certified copy of an order
  • Ask for a technical correction to a decision
  • Order a witness to attend a hearing (complete Form 8)
  • Cancel an order for a witness to attend a hearing