Who can help

Other resources

Last updated: November 30, 2023

You may need help with a problem other than human rights.

Here are links to resources in these areas.

Page contents

Consumer and individual protections

Find out about various consumer and individual protections services.

  • Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC)
  • Better Business Bureau (BBB)
  • BC Civil Liberties Association (BCCLA)
  • Canadian Children’s Rights Council (CCRC)
  • Canadian Judicial Council (CJC)
  • Chief Judge – Provincial Court of British Columbia – Complaints
  • College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC
  • Condo Home Owner’s Association
  • Consumer Protection BC
  • Legal Services Society (Legal Aid)
  • Ombudsperson
  • Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner


Find help for those with disabilities.  Click on the following link for more information:

  • Disability Alliance of BC (DABC)
  • Victoria Disability Resource Centre (VDRC)

Emergency and crisis

For those in crisis, find contact information for:

Anywhere in BC: 1-800-SUICIDE(1-800-784-2433)
Vancouver: 604-872-3311
Sunshine Coast/Sea to Sky: 1-866-661-3311
Mental Health Support Line: 310-6789
Seniors Distress Line: 604-872-1234
Online Chat Service for Youth: www.YouthInBC.com (Noon to 1am)
Online Chat Service for Adults: www.CrisisCentreChat.ca (Noon to 1am)


Find out about employee rights with respect to wages, working conditions, unionized labour relations and safe work conditions.  Click on the following links for more information:

  • Employers’ Advisers Office
  • Employment Standards Branch
  • Labour Relations Board
  • Migrant Workers Centre (MWC)
  • Workers’ Advisers Office (WAO)
  • WorkBC
  • WorkSafeBC

Federal human rights complaints

Find information on human rights complaints against federally regulated entities.


Find information about services available to immigrants.

  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada
  • DIVERCity
  • Immigrant Services Society of British Columbia (ISSofBC)
  • Pacific Immigrant Resources Society (PIRS)
  • The Multicultural Helping House Society – Newcomers Resource Centre (MHHS–NRC)

Mental health

Find resources relating to mental health services.

  • BC Mental Health & Substance Use (BCMHSUS)
  • Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) – British Columbia Division
  • Here to Help
  • Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre
  • Kettle Society

Police complaints

Find out where to place complaints against RCMP and municipal police.

  • Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP
  • Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner


Find out where to get help for prisoners in provincial or federal correctional facilities.

  • Office of Correctional Investigator
  • Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies (CAEFS)
  • Canadian Prison Law
  • John Howard Society of British Columbia
  • Legal Services Society
  • Positive Living Society – Prison Outreach
  • West Coast Prison Justice Society


Find provincial and federal resources for senior citizens.

  • Information for Seniors
  • SeniorsBC.ca
  • Senior Services Society

Telephone information lines for provincial and federal government programs

Find information on programs and services run by the provincial and federal governments.

  • Enquiry BC
  • O Canada


Find information about tenancy rights and responsibilities.

  • Tenant Resource and Advisory Centre (TRAC)
  • Residential Tenancy Branch

Victims of sexual assault and violence

Find resources for Victims of Sexual Assault and Violence

  • Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS)
  • Canadian Association of Sexual Assault Centres (CASAC)
  • Crime Victim’s Assistance (VictimLink BC)
  • Ending Violence Association of BC (EVA)
  • Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program (SANE)
  • Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW)