Who can help
Last updated: November 30, 2023
You may need help with a problem other than human rights.
Here are links to resources in these areas.
- Consumer and individual protections
- Emergency and crisis
- Federal human rights complaints
- Mental health
- Police complaints
- Telephone information lines for provincial and federal government programs
- Victims of sexual assault and violence
Consumer and individual protections
Find out about various consumer and individual protections services.
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC)
- Better Business Bureau
- BC Civil Liberties Association (BCCLA)
- Canadian Children’s Rights Council
- Canadian Judicial Council
- Chief Judge – Provincial Court of British Columbia – Complaints
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC
- Condo Home Owner’s Association
- Consumer Protection BC
- Legal Services Society (Legal Aid)
- Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner
Find help for those with disabilities. Click on the following link for more information:
- Disability Alliance of BC
- Victoria Disability Resource Centre (VDRC)
Emergency and crisis
For those in crisis, find contact information for:
Anywhere in BC: 1-800-SUICIDE(1-800-784-2433)
Sunshine Coast/Sea to Sky: 1-866-661-3311
Mental Health Support Line: 310-6789
Seniors Distress Line: 604-872-1234
Online Chat Service for Youth: www.YouthInBC.com (Noon to 1am)
Online Chat Service for Adults: www.CrisisCentreChat.ca (Noon to 1am)
Find out about employee rights with respect to wages, working conditions, unionized labour relations and safe work conditions. Click on the following links for more information:
- Employers’ Advisers Office
- Employment Standards Branch
- Labour Relations Board
- Migrant Workers Centre (MWC)
- Workers’ Advisers Office (WAO)
Federal human rights complaints
Find information on human rights complaints against federally regulated entities.
Find information about services available to immigrants.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Immigrant Services Society of British Columbia (ISSofBC)
- Pacific Immigrant Resources Society (PIRS)
- The Multicultural Helping House Society – Newcomers Resource Centre (MHHS–NRC)
Find resources relating to mental health services.
- BC Mental Health & Substance Use (BCMHSUS)
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) – British Columbia Division
- Here to Help
- Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre
- Kettle Society
Find out where to place complaints against RCMP and municipal police.
- Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP
- Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner
Find out where to get help for prisoners in provincial or federal correctional facilities.
- Office of Correctional Investigator
- Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies (CAEFS)
- Canadian Prison Law
- John Howard Society of British Columbia
- Legal Services Society
- Positive Living Society – Prison Outreach
- West Coast Prison Justice Society
Find provincial and federal resources for senior citizens.
- Information for Seniors
- Senior Services Society
Telephone information lines for provincial and federal government programs
Find information on programs and services run by the provincial and federal governments.
- Enquiry BC
- O Canada
Find information about tenancy rights and responsibilities.
- Tenant Resource and Advisory Centre (TRAC)
- Residential Tenancy Branch
Victims of sexual assault and violence
Find resources for Victims of Sexual Assault and Violence
- Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS)
- Canadian Association of Sexual Assault Centres (CASAC)
- Crime Victim’s Assistance (VictimLink BC)
- Ending Violence Association of BC (EVA)
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program (SANE)
- Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW)